The things most of us hate but don't really think to talk about...

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Work Week

Don't you hate it when you absolutely get nailed with a ridiculous amount of work in one week? This type of situation can be applied to many situations, but the ones I would imagine to be most common are at the workplace and with school work. In my life the problem presented is always with school work. One week I'll have one quiz and one short homework assignment due. Maybe one of my classes will even get canceled. Seems like a pretty great week, right? A week like that gives me plenty of time to research fantasy football, watch movies, and play video games for hours. As I bask in the glory of an extremely easy week, I fail to remember that the following week I have three tests and a presentation due. Sunday night rolls around and suddenly all hell breaks loose. Before I go any further, a situation like this can be easily avoided by doing some of your future work the preceding week. At the same time, who wants to ruin such a glorious off week when you're used to always being busy? I also don't want to seem like I'm complaining about weeks like this because they are sometimes avoidable. I'm simply stating that they are usually miserable weeks. Anyways, it's Sunday night and you have a test tomorrow, a presentation Wednesday, and a test on both Thursday and Friday. Most of us know how these weeks usually go so I won't go into many details. They usually include a limited number of meals along with limited hours of sleep and unhealthy amounts of caffeine. At the conclusion of the week you've completed all assignments. You're not sure what your grades are, but at this point you're too exhausted to even think about them anymore and that's the end of it. I guess what I find so annoying about these weeks is simply the lack of balance. I would rather have two tests and a homework assignment due one week and the next week have one quiz, one test, and one presentation. When the work is spread out it is much easier to manage. It's usually just a set of unfortunate circumstances that results in weeks like these. Eventually the syllabuses from your classes will catch up to each other and at least one of these weeks usually rolls around each semester. The same can be said for people in the work force. I'm sure weeks exist where you have nothing to do and you feel like you're getting paid to sit in a cubicle, while you have other weeks when you feel like you're not getting paid enough for what seems like and insurmountable amount of work. More often than not these weeks are unavoidable; we simply need to take them in stride and relish the easy and moderate work weeks.

Until next time,

Zac

1 comment:

  1. Zac,

    Although not a regular follower of your blog, I have to say I am guilty of reading your new entries here and there. I usually find your entries to be, although a bit whiney, amusing for the most part. However, I feel that in this particular entry you are just blowing hot air for the sake of complaining. Instead of reaching out to the everyday person, you are throwing a pity party for your schedule. Fantasy football, movies, and video games? Must be tough to be you. Furthermore, you blatanly contradict yourself multiple times throughout this entry. Would a few extra hours of preparation for the weeks to come cause such a catastrophic derailment of your so called "glorious off week?" It is not like your mean old professors woke up Monday morning and all met before class planning a personal vendetta against their students. You specifically stated that you were aware of the due dates one week prior to them being due. Later in your entry you spoke about syllabi. I'm not sure about your college, but don't most professors hand out a syllabus outlining the entire semester sometime within the first week of class? Its called doing a little bit of organization and planning. Being that you wrote entries on high school memories, I can conclude that you are out of high school and onto college making you over eighteen and a legal adult. My advice for you: put on your big boy pants and deal with it. Three tests and a presentation in one week is not the end of the world. Put down your joystick and open a book once in awhile then maybe you won't have to whine so much.

    ReplyDelete