The things most of us hate but don't really think to talk about...

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

High School Leftovers

Don't you hate it when you're around people who only talk about the "good times" they had in high school? Let me first say that I'm guilty of telling a high school story or two, but I try not to dominate a conversation talking about those four years that most of us have experienced. When it comes down to it, most people have experienced the same four years with the exception of interchanging some dates and names. I'm sure most people pulled a senior prank and most people probably experienced a bomb threat. Most of us created our own senior skip day or started some ridiculous food fight. For the most part, we all have the same stories. I can't think of one person who's not guilty of telling a high school story, but the people I can't stand are the ones who ALWAYS talk about high school. It's almost as if they're living in the past and they want to go back there. Don't get me wrong: I probably wouldn't trade some of the memories I made in high school for almost anything. With that being said, however, my memories probably don't mean that much to anyone but me or my close group of friends from high school. For some people it's all they talk about. My stance is that at some point we each need to move on with our lives. Not to say that we can't reminisce on the "good times," but we need to live in the present. Living in the past is counterproductive and causes people to dwell on mistakes and form regrets. We can't change the past so we shouldn't dwell upon it. I don't care if you tell a story from elementary school or even preschool, just don't tell me another freakin high school story. The high school stories that I love to hear are the really interesting and unconventional ones, and they usually come from the people who talk about high school the least.

Until next time,

Zac

1 comment:

  1. It really iritates me when people tell stories that have no substance to their listeners. If you're telling a story about how crazy your "one friend" was "one time", it's probably not funny unless you know that person. Instead of telling the story and saying "it was a lot funnier when it happened" or "it's a lot funnier if you know the person", just don't tell the story at all.

    ReplyDelete